This Diwali I was quite excited to be invited by a friend on lunch, to one of the posh restaurants of Delhi, the more exciting part was that this time he was the one who was going to pay the bill and I could indulge in gluttony to eat without worrying much about the bill……!!!
Few days later while interacting with one of the employees at my office I got to know how much hardship and financial problem he was facing due to illness of his wife from the past few years and MBA within me without giving patient hearing to him soon jumped to a solution WHY DON’T YOU GET A HEALTH INSURANCE DONE ??? (We so called MBAs believe that we have the solution to all problems in this world ha ha ha …. which is so untrue). But soon I realized that he would not be able to pay the premium for insurance and no company will cover pre-existing disease…… I realized that the amount which we had spent on Diwali lunch was much higher than the amount which would have given health insurance to that person's entire family for a year...…
God has created an unequal world. It will always have, haves and have-not’s. I have always considered myself in the list of have-nots, though this feeling is subsiding from the day I have come to Muktsar. Money is one of the most powerful tools which if used wisely can bring happiness to many lives. But for any person who belongs to other side of the fence, is it bad for him to splurge money and enjoy life??As they have slogged hard to reach there, is it not their right to spend their money the way they want. Why should they sacrifice their indulgences due to someone who is a non-performer in life?? ”I HAVE ACHIEVED IT so I am going to spend it all on me”. This is the normal attitude. But is it really - I (we) have achieved it?? In one of my interactions with Mr. Geet Sethi,then 5 times world billiard champion ( I don’t know what his current record is) said that whatever he is today, he owes it to many people and society at large; on his own it would not have made one iota of difference to anything. And we people who have not achieved any thing comparable to him have such a big I. In my opinion, we all are prisoners of our birth, the family, community, country we are born in, decides to a very large extent what would be our outlook towards world, what we are going to do in our life and what our personality would be like. Very few people of extraordinary abilities are able to break this prison. We have to carry the burden of where we are born ….since it's not in anyone’s hand in which family, community, country he will be born; it is not within the 'I' in us who has achieved anything. Whatever small or big thing we are today, we owe it to many people and to society directly or indirectly.
But does that mean we should all become saints and stop spending money on things which makes us happy??? We all were born in an unequal world and will die in an unequal world and this inequality is required for the smooth functioning of society, as society needs all sorts of people at all levels and we should be thankful to people who are doing their jobs which we would not like to do and support them so that they keep doing these jobs rather than looking down at them. I hope and pray to god that this inequality can be reduced to some extent, at least every one in this world have food, shelter, good health and happiness……
Few days later while interacting with one of the employees at my office I got to know how much hardship and financial problem he was facing due to illness of his wife from the past few years and MBA within me without giving patient hearing to him soon jumped to a solution WHY DON’T YOU GET A HEALTH INSURANCE DONE ??? (We so called MBAs believe that we have the solution to all problems in this world ha ha ha …. which is so untrue). But soon I realized that he would not be able to pay the premium for insurance and no company will cover pre-existing disease…… I realized that the amount which we had spent on Diwali lunch was much higher than the amount which would have given health insurance to that person's entire family for a year...…
God has created an unequal world. It will always have, haves and have-not’s. I have always considered myself in the list of have-nots, though this feeling is subsiding from the day I have come to Muktsar. Money is one of the most powerful tools which if used wisely can bring happiness to many lives. But for any person who belongs to other side of the fence, is it bad for him to splurge money and enjoy life??As they have slogged hard to reach there, is it not their right to spend their money the way they want. Why should they sacrifice their indulgences due to someone who is a non-performer in life?? ”I HAVE ACHIEVED IT so I am going to spend it all on me”. This is the normal attitude. But is it really - I (we) have achieved it?? In one of my interactions with Mr. Geet Sethi,then 5 times world billiard champion ( I don’t know what his current record is) said that whatever he is today, he owes it to many people and society at large; on his own it would not have made one iota of difference to anything. And we people who have not achieved any thing comparable to him have such a big I. In my opinion, we all are prisoners of our birth, the family, community, country we are born in, decides to a very large extent what would be our outlook towards world, what we are going to do in our life and what our personality would be like. Very few people of extraordinary abilities are able to break this prison. We have to carry the burden of where we are born ….since it's not in anyone’s hand in which family, community, country he will be born; it is not within the 'I' in us who has achieved anything. Whatever small or big thing we are today, we owe it to many people and to society directly or indirectly.
But does that mean we should all become saints and stop spending money on things which makes us happy??? We all were born in an unequal world and will die in an unequal world and this inequality is required for the smooth functioning of society, as society needs all sorts of people at all levels and we should be thankful to people who are doing their jobs which we would not like to do and support them so that they keep doing these jobs rather than looking down at them. I hope and pray to god that this inequality can be reduced to some extent, at least every one in this world have food, shelter, good health and happiness……
No comments:
Post a Comment